Investigation Urged As RMT Figures Show over 500 Tube Lines Jobs Could be Under Threat

AS LONDON mayor Boris Johnson confirmed this morning that Transport for London have completed their takeover of the failed Tube Lines operation, RMT has demanded urgent intervention to resolve a dispute over jobs and working conditions as the union produced new figures showing that 535 out of 2915 Tube Lines staff posts are under threat.

Following two days of strike action last week, RMT has confirmed a further 48 hours of action on Tube Lines between 19.00 hours on Wednesday 14th July and 18.59 hours on Friday 16th July.

RMT General Secretary Bob Crow, speaking from the union’s AGM in Aberdeen, said:

“With TfL and the Mayor now taking control of the failed Tube Lines operation he has no excuse whatsoever for not intervening in the dispute over jobs and conditions which has left 535 out of 2915 staff facing the prospect of being thrown on the scrap heap.

“The simple fact is that the job cuts being cooked up would make it impossible for the Mayor and his officials to get the tube upgrade works back on track and would have dire implications for tube safety as essential maintenance works back up in the system.

“For too long Boris Johnson has tried to wash his hands of responsibility for the ongoing attacks on jobs and safety on London Underground and with today’s announcement on the Tube Lines takeover we are demanding that he steps up to the plate and starts sorting out the mess that has been left behind by the final collapse of PPP.

“Our members remain absolutely determined to fight to protect their jobs, their living standards and safety and service delivery across the tube network and will not sit idly by waiting for a tragedy to bring the management to their senses.”

> RMT National News

Wednesday, 29th July
Rail union RMT said that 24-hour strike action on East Midlands Railways will go ahead on Saturday August 1 after the company refused to withdraw faulty trains and talks collapsed.
Wednesday, 29th July
Rail union RMT has announced further strike action by Avanti West Coast members at Manchester Piccadilly station on Saturday August 1 over the unfair dismissal of a colleague.
Tuesday, 21st July
RMT members working at East Midlands Railway (EMR) plan to take strike action on Saturday, August 1, and the following two Saturdays over growing safety concerns that the company has failed to address.
Friday, 17th July
RMT has suspended three days of strike action on Merseyrail planned for July 18 to 20 after the company made an improved offer.
Wednesday, 15th July
RMT members working in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) have voted to accept a negotiated pay offer that delivers significant improvements to pay and conditions.