RMT tells LU 'end the bullying culture' following employment tribunal loss

RMT says that major employment tribunal loss by London Underground is a wake-up call to end the culture of picking on staff

TUBE UNION RMT today called on London Underground to end the culture of picking on staff and misusing procedures after the company lost an important employment tribunal case, costing the taxpayer a six figure sum in the process.
The driver in question was re-instated by LU yesterday at a resolution meeting with the Employment Tribunal Judge and London Underground management.

Not only have LU re-instated the member back to his driver position but they have also agreed to back pay all his wages - well over a years worth - and pay his legal costs plus compensation. All due to the fact that trumped up charges were levelled at him with procedures bent and misused to try and make them stick.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“RMT is delighted with the outcome of this case but our member should never have been subjected to this travesty of justice from the start which left him with an axe hanging over his head due to appalling mismanagement by London Underground.

“The victory, which will cost the London taxpayer a packet due to the vindictive attitude of the company, is ringing out across the combine as staff take note of both the background and outcome. It proves that you need a strong trade union on your side when it’s your name in the management frame.

“The whole debacle also serves as a wake-up call to London Underground to end the bullying culture which is rife throughout the company and stop setting up and picking off individual staff. The attempt to rule by fear has been exposed by this case and RMT is demanding it is called to a halt immediately.”

> RMT National News

Friday, 21st November
RMT will take strike action on CrossCountry next month after the company failed to resolve long-running issues on pay, staffing and previously agreed commitments.
Wednesday, 19th November
RMT today exposed widespread failures in welfare provision for transport workers, with new survey evidence and frontline testimony showing that women in particular are being denied safe, clean and accessible toilet facilities, leaving employers in breach of basic dignity and clear legal duties.
Wednesday, 19th November
Tube union RMT, will demonstrate outside City Hall tomorrow calling on the Mayor and Transport for London to stop the re-tendering of the London Underground cleaning contract and bring the workforce back in-house.
Wednesday, 19th November
Rail union, RMT today laid bare the safety critical importance of a second person onboard train services after a dispute erupted on East West Rail.
Tuesday, 18th November
RMT steps up campaign to end outsourcing after Lord Ashcroft revealed as majority owner in contractor accused of bullying.