RMT Demands Answers As Tube Signal Failure Leaves Late Passengers Stranded

LONDON UNDERGROUND’S biggest union has demanded an explanation from Tube bosses after a signal failure at Farringdon last night left passengers stranded without advice or help to finish their journeys.

RMT has learned that passengers on Metropolitan and Circle and Hammersmith and City trains spent up to 45 minutes between Kings Cross and Farringdon stations, missing last onward connections with other lines, and were given no help to finish their journeys.

“It is down to LUL bosses to make sure that passengers can finish their journeys if a failure like this occurs, either by holding connections or laying on taxis, but it seems that nothing was in place,” RMT general secretary Bob Crow said today.

“When there is nothing in place to ensure that passengers are provided with advice, let alone a taxi it leaves our members in the firing line, and Tube bosses have some explaining to do.

“LUL should also concentrate on resolving the present dispute with former Metronet signalling workers and running the signalling system the capital needs and deserves,” Bob Crow said.

> RMT National News

Friday, 21st November
RMT will take strike action on CrossCountry next month after the company failed to resolve long-running issues on pay, staffing and previously agreed commitments.
Wednesday, 19th November
RMT today exposed widespread failures in welfare provision for transport workers, with new survey evidence and frontline testimony showing that women in particular are being denied safe, clean and accessible toilet facilities, leaving employers in breach of basic dignity and clear legal duties.
Wednesday, 19th November
Tube union RMT, will demonstrate outside City Hall tomorrow calling on the Mayor and Transport for London to stop the re-tendering of the London Underground cleaning contract and bring the workforce back in-house.
Wednesday, 19th November
Rail union, RMT today laid bare the safety critical importance of a second person onboard train services after a dispute erupted on East West Rail.
Tuesday, 18th November
RMT steps up campaign to end outsourcing after Lord Ashcroft revealed as majority owner in contractor accused of bullying.