RMT confirms 48 hours strike next week after massive vote for action on Docklands Light Railway

RAIL UNION RMT said today that staff across all grades on Keolis Amey Docklands Light Railway will strike for 48 hours next week  in a dispute over a range of serious unresolved issues that are wrecking industrial relations.
 
The announcement of action comes after talks failed to make any serious progress following the confirmation of a massive 92% vote to strike by RMT members last week.
 
All members have now been instructed to take 48 hours of strike action with no shifts booked on or after 0359  on Tuesday 3rd November until 0358 on the Thursday 5th November 2015.
 
The key issues at the heart of the dispute are:

  • Abuses of the use of agency staff  within the KAD network.
  • Undermining the position of Control Centre, stores and other grades effectively casualising key functions
  • A creeping culture of bullying and intimidation of staff being allowed to develop
  • Breaches of agreements, procedures and the recognition framework

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:

 “Our members on DLR are furious at the way that Keolis/Amey are trying to bulldoze through some of the worst working practices and conditions that we associate with the operations of the most cheapskate and anti-union companies in the transport sector and that anger is reflected in the ballot results. We will not sit back and allow this aggressive and bullying culture to develop on this key part of London’s transport network.

 “The company should not have underestimated the anger of the workforce and KAD’s abject failure to address these issues which left us with no option but to ballot for action and that ballot registered a massive 92% in favour.
“Despite strenuous efforts by RMT negotiators in talks since the ballot was confirmed the company have dug their heels in and have failed to make progress in a number of key areas at the heart of the dispute.  As a result RMT has no option but to confirm 48 hours of strike action for next week.  The union remains available for further talks.”

> RMT National News

Thursday, 6th August
Cleaners on Merseyrail employed by outsourcing firm Churchill Services will take 24-hour strike action against low pay from Friday (tomorrow) to Saturday (August 8).
Wednesday, 5th August
RMT has rejected plans to introduce Driver Only Operation (DOO) on the new East West Rail line following confirmation that Chiltern Railways intends to operate services on the new route without a second safety-critical member of staff, despite RMT’s long-standing opposition to DOO.
Friday, 31st July
Cleaners on Merseyrail employed by outsourcing firm Churchill Services will take 24-hour strike action against low pay next week on Friday August 7 to Saturday August 8.
Friday, 31st July
OFFSHORE union RMT is deeply concerned by the reports surrounding BP’s future in the North Sea and the potential impact on more than 1,000 skilled workers, their families and communities.
Thursday, 30th July
Rail union RMT said that outsourced cleaners and catering workers at TransPennine Express (TPE) will take 48-hour strike action against low pay from tomorrow (Friday, July 31).