Government call ‎to reinstate a full Tube service is grossly irresponsible

RMT slams grossly irresponsible "business as usual" lines from government on London Underground

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:

"At a time when we are trying to encourage people to stay away from the tube so we can concentrate on moving essential workers the government call ‎to reinstate a full service is grossly irresponsible as it suggests it's business as usual. That flies in the face of everything they have said about staying at home.

"The real problem is this government's refusal to give any wage support to casualised workers who will receive no income if they don't travel and go to work. We need to put the nation's health first - close the building sites and shut down the rogue employers and give the same wage support to casual workers as those on PAYE - run a free, stripped-back railway for essential staff so that our vital health, retail and other key workers can travel free from cost and fear of contamination on crowded trains.

"The government are also ignoring the fact that large numbers of LU staff are self isolating and those left on the job feel dangerously vulnerable. We would call on the government to withdraw their "business as usual" lines and work with the tube unions and the Mayor to protect health, safety, livelihoods and travel services for essential workers."

> RMT National News

Friday, 21st November
RMT will take strike action on CrossCountry next month after the company failed to resolve long-running issues on pay, staffing and previously agreed commitments.
Wednesday, 19th November
RMT today exposed widespread failures in welfare provision for transport workers, with new survey evidence and frontline testimony showing that women in particular are being denied safe, clean and accessible toilet facilities, leaving employers in breach of basic dignity and clear legal duties.
Wednesday, 19th November
Tube union RMT, will demonstrate outside City Hall tomorrow calling on the Mayor and Transport for London to stop the re-tendering of the London Underground cleaning contract and bring the workforce back in-house.
Wednesday, 19th November
Rail union, RMT today laid bare the safety critical importance of a second person onboard train services after a dispute erupted on East West Rail.
Tuesday, 18th November
RMT steps up campaign to end outsourcing after Lord Ashcroft revealed as majority owner in contractor accused of bullying.