District Line Closed for Rush Hour on Day Mayor Promises to Sort Tube

FROM RMT PRESS OFFICE

On the day that Boris Johnson announced that he is going to sort the tube out for the Olympics the Mayor has been hit by a massive embarrassment as the entire service on the busy District Line stretch from Earls Court down to Wimbledon is closed this afternoon in advance of rush hour.

TFL are blaming emergency engineering works. An earlier stalled train at Putney Bridge took 80 minutes to de-train due to a shortage of staff.

RMT General Secretary Bob Crow said:

“The minute that Boris Johnson announces that he is going to sort out the daily chaos on the tube an entire section of the District Line is forced to close just in time for rush hour. It looks like the Mayor is living on a different planet to those who use the underground and those who work on it.

“Instead of making meaningless promises for the benefit of the media it’s about time the Mayor told Londoners the truth – the tube is bad now but it will get a whole lot worse when he piles through his latest £7.6 billion of cuts. Boris Johnson is setting London up to be an international transport laughing stock as the clock ticks down towards next years’ Olympics.”

> RMT National News

Friday, 21st November
RMT will take strike action on CrossCountry next month after the company failed to resolve long-running issues on pay, staffing and previously agreed commitments.
Wednesday, 19th November
RMT today exposed widespread failures in welfare provision for transport workers, with new survey evidence and frontline testimony showing that women in particular are being denied safe, clean and accessible toilet facilities, leaving employers in breach of basic dignity and clear legal duties.
Wednesday, 19th November
Tube union RMT, will demonstrate outside City Hall tomorrow calling on the Mayor and Transport for London to stop the re-tendering of the London Underground cleaning contract and bring the workforce back in-house.
Wednesday, 19th November
Rail union, RMT today laid bare the safety critical importance of a second person onboard train services after a dispute erupted on East West Rail.
Tuesday, 18th November
RMT steps up campaign to end outsourcing after Lord Ashcroft revealed as majority owner in contractor accused of bullying.