RMT Cleaners Strike Update
RMT union & its members are demanding:-
- SICK PAY: Cleaning jobs are dangerous and when working with
chemicals with a combination of poor or inferior PPE staff often get sick.
However the cleaning Companies do not care about their Workers.
- A DECENT PENSION: Many Cleaners are working well beyond other Workers retirement age because they cannot afford to retire as they have no pension to retire on. This is a disgrace in 2012 Britain.
- ANNUAL PAY INCREASE: Why would any bosses object to this?
- FREE TRAVEL ON LONDON TRANSPORT: Lowest paid Workers are having to pay for the most expensive transport system in Europe?
- A MINIMUM HOURLY STARTING RATE OF £10: The London living wages just keeps people on the edge and out of poverty. We want a salary that allows them to truly ‘live’ in London. £10 is a starting point.
- SHIFT ALLOWANCE FOR NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS: Why not?
- A SIMPLE CAREER PATH WITHIN COMPANY: No Worker can
feel motivated when their bosses treat them and their job as some sort of
dead end. The job of Cleaners should, like any other, have prospects.
- CLEAN MESS ROOM, DIGNITY AND RESPECT AT WORK: The Workers who provide clean work areas for other staff are themselves expected to sit in filthy bin or chemical room hidden away on stations.
- OH YES, PAYMENT DURING THE OLYMPICS TO REFLECT
INCREASEs IN WORKLOAD: Every other group of Rail workers are.
Picket lines will be at these key areas at 0600hrs and 1900hrs:
DEPOTS: Ealing Common, Northumberland Park, Stonebridge Park Morden, Stratford, Golders Green, Ruislip, Hainault, Oakwood.
Stations: Bank, Embankment, Walthamstow, Oxford Circus, King Cross
RMT will be paying strike pay to members who take strike action via
Finsbury Park Branch. There will be an additional ‘picket line’ cover with all strike pay. Please inform your Local Rep.